Yep, summer is coming to a close and that means it’s time to get a last hurrah of sorts on the grill. I mean, grilling everything from salad to dessert! Yes, I said salad! Want to know how I did it? Here it goes:
- 8 oz. thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
- 3 oz. blue cheese, may I suggest Roquefort
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbs. sour cream
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped green onion or thinly sliced chives
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, toss the outer leaves, and cut into quarters with the core intact
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 vine ripened or heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Fully cook bacon, but do not make it too crisp! Set aside on paper towels to drain.
In a small bowl, mash the blue cheese with a fork. Add the buttermilk, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Season with 1 tsp. salt and several grinds of pepper. Stir in the chives or green onion.
Put the iceberg on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, toss gently to coat evenly, and season with salt. Place the iceberg on the grill cut side down and grill until nicely marked, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn and mark on the other cut sides, about 2 minutes more.
Transfer the grilled iceberg to a platter or individual plates. Spoon a generous amount of the dressing on top, then scatter with the bacon, cheese, and tomato. Serve immediately, passing any remaining dressing at the table.